With more than 50,000 convenience stores in Japan, these stores (aka konbinis) are a staple in the country. Here, you can find just about everything and anything; from snacks, ready-to-eat meals and drinks, to medicine, cosmetics, and even printing services.
While there are a large number of konbini operators in Japan, the three main ones are 7-Eleven, Family Mart, and Lawson. Found all across Japan, these large chains are especially common in tourist areas (sometimes with all three present just along one street!) and are mostly open 24 hours, seven days a week.
There’s also something aesthetically pleasing about how konbinis are meticulously organised and filled to the brim with an insane variety of products. Without an idea of what to try, it’s easy to get lost among the choices.
On must-have eats
- Onigiri; a seaweed-wrapped rice ball with fillings ranging from salmon, tuna, vegetables, and ume (pickled plum).
- Sandos; the Japanese abbreviation for sandwiches, these come with sweet or savoury fillings sandwiched between pillowy-soft bread.
- Oden; a comforting winter dish which most konbinis put out on big pots of soy-sauce dashi stock with skewers of fish cake, tofu, eggs, and other ingredients which you can pick from.
- Freshly-prepared fried finger bites like chicken karaage and tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet)
View this post on Instagram
Japanese 7-Eleven Food! 😱😍 Follow @hungryhugh for more food! 🙌🏼 🍟 🍴: Fried Dumplings, Chicken Karaage, Rice, Onigiri, Fried Chicken, French Fries and Fried Chicken on a Stick 👉🏼: @seven_eleven_japan 📍: 7-Eleven, 下京区河原町通松原上ル清水町277 Kyoto, 京都府 〒600-8025 Japan 🐔 @seven_eleven_japan is no joke in Japan! They have so much ready made food like these: FRIED DUMPLINGS, CHICKEN KARAAGE, RICE, ONIGIRI, FRIED CHICKEN, FRENCH FRIES, & FRIED CHICKEN ON A STICK! And yes, it taste really good! 👌🏼😊🙌🏼 . . . . . . . . . #hungryhugh #foodbeast #foodie #tokyo #instagramjapan #uwasalabo #eatfamous #shibuya #dailyfoodfeed #tryitordiet #fitfam #abc7eyewitness #losangeles #buzzfeedfood #zagat #asian #hollywood #irvine #thrillist #japan #japanese #retrip_gourmet #kyoto #friedchicken #frenchfries #fries #7eleven #京都 #seveneleven #7elevenjapan
Which Konbini to go for?
- Try 7-Eleven’s sandos, with the most popular being the strawberry and cream, then egg salad.
- At Family Mart, make a beeline for their fried karaage as they’re known to have the best konbini fried chicken.
- Looking for sweets? Lawson is loved for their freshly baked treats and ice cream and we recommend trying their cream roll cakes which comes in a variety of flavours and fillings.
View this post on Instagram
– 🍵宇治抹茶甜筒 (¥248~17)🇯🇵 – 8/10 . . 日本Lawson又悄悄地出左新野😛 係UChi Cafe系列嘅宇治抹茶甜筒 抹茶味香濃之餘 雪糕質感都好棉密 唔係重空氣感果種 加左抹茶醬味道更濃郁(˶‾᷄ ⁻̫ ‾᷅˵) 你地知日本便利店好多野食都係期間限定架啦😫 遲少少都分分鐘冇 快啲捉緊機會去試喇💪🏻👧🏻 . . 📌日本Lawson . . #Mui日本 #Mui去旅行 #Mui便利店 #Mui抹茶控 #Mui甜品 #Mui雪糕控 . . #hkfoodshare #hkig #hkeat #hkfood #hkigers #hkfoodie #hkfoodsnap #hkfoodblog #hkfoodporn #hkfoodblogger #hkfoodig #ufoodhk #ufood#hkig #hkfoodblogger#hkfoodporn #hkfoodie #hkfoodsnap #hkfoodblog #hkfoodshare #share4share #likesforlikes #l4l #s4s #icecream #ローソン #lawsonjapan #コンビニ #アイス
Konbini as a one-stop store
Free WiFi, boiling water and microwaves
During meal times, it’s very common to see locals having konbini food and sitting along the counters in the store itself. With boiling water, microwaves and even free WiFi at most outlets, you have pretty much everything for your pit-stop before continuing on your journey.
If you can tear your eyes away from all the yummy food, you’ll realise that konbinis actually provide plenty of services catered to tourists.
ATMs that accept foreign withdrawals
At most major konbinis, there are ATMs where you can withdraw money from. However, 7-Eleven is the only chain that provide ATMs that allow you to withdraw from overseas bank accounts, and while there’s a withdrawal fee, it’s handy for when you need cash in a pinch.
Multi-purpose machine to get local attraction tickets, stamps & postcards
Another thing worth checking out in-store is the multi-purpose kiosk that is usually found beside the ATM. This is a handy machine where you can buy last-minute entrance tickets to theme parks such as Tokyo Disneyland and Osaka Universal Studios and other attractions, as well as book Japan Rail passes (though it might be cheaper to get yours from us here ahead of your trip).
Besides booking services, the kiosk also lets you buy stamps and postcards; which you can then mail out using the store’s mailbox (yeah, we are old school like that).
Have a parcel to receive from Amazon or Rakuten? Just select the konbini closest to your location and pick it up from there.
Ready to embark on your adventure?
Reserve your ChangiWifi router for UNLIMITED internet 24-7, at as low as $5/day*.
Beat the queue and book those attraction tickets and day tours with us—no frills, no fuss.